Auburn Rules

War Eagle fly down the field, ever to conquer never to yield, War Eagle fearless and true, fight on you Orange and Blue, Go Go Go! On to victory, strike up the band, hit 'em high, hit 'em low, Go tigers go! War Eagle win for AUBURN, power of Dixieland!

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

My Tribute


I returned from my trip home to sad news, one of the greatest missionary leaders of the present day has gone to be with our Savior. Dr. Cal Guy’s influence has reached even me, though I never sat in his class or had his as my pastor or even had a deep theological discussion with him. Dr. Cal Guy was a distinguished professor at Southwestern Seminary and during his tenure here, he had Dr. Al Jackson as a student. While Al was under the teaching of Dr. Guy, he inherited a burden for the lost, especially those who have never been exposed to the Gospel. Al was my pastor when I was a member at Lakeview Baptist Church in Auburn, AL. I never really understood missions and the call that God has given to all of us to take the Gospel to the ends of the earth until I sat under the preaching and teaching of this protégé of Dr. Guy. From the Holy Spirit through Al Jackson, I began to be burdened for the lost and began to have a passion for the nations to know Him.

Here is a touching article that was released from the seminary that explains how Dr. Guy was used by God to bring Him glory and to advance His Kingdom. Here is an excerpt from the article that explains Dr. Guy’s work in India. William Carey was the first missionary to India over 200 years ago, but the Indian people had not been teaching the Word, that is until Cal Guy came along.

He discovered that of 15 churches that had been started in the area since Carey’s time, only one still survived. This led Guy into a three-decade relationship with Bangladesh Baptists during which time he put many of his teachings into practice.
For example, he arranged to have a booklet containing a Gospel presentation translated into the native language. Then he taught local Baptists how to introduce the book into villages by asking the village leaders to allow their children to read it to them. The result was an explosion of churches in the area.
“Just based on using the Gospels, it went from 15 dead churches to 600 infinitely reproducible ones,” Guy said.

Dr. Cal Guy is one of my heroes of the Faith. I am grateful to Him for allowing himself to be used by God. His life touched so many others and his legacy will live on well past his lifetime. If only you and I lived a life as full as Dr. Cal Guy, what would our world look like?

1 Comments:

At 7/27/2005 5:43 PM, Blogger Robino said...

Yes, he was an amazing man! He often spoke of how he and his wife had a "love affair" for many many years. Chris and I were able to take the Jacksons to his house and have a chat with him. I am so thankful for that time. We even saw a picture that he had of his wife on his study table. And he was quick to share with us his love for missions. He was truly inspiring and a warrior for God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home