Auburn Rules

War Eagle fly down the field, ever to conquer never to yield, War Eagle fearless and true, fight on you Orange and Blue, Go Go Go! On to victory, strike up the band, hit 'em high, hit 'em low, Go tigers go! War Eagle win for AUBURN, power of Dixieland!

Monday, May 08, 2006


Summer, the beginning of new things….
So, many new things for me are on the horizon. A big chapter in my life is coming to an end, and it feels wonderful and sad all at the same time. I began my counseling practicum this very week one year ago. I remember how scared I was to think that people would actually want to and need to come to me for advice and direction. What an overwhelming responsibility. I was ready though, so I thought. I have learned so much about myself in the past year, the most significant thing I have learned is that I don’t know as much as I though I knew. What a bummer!! I have been put in my place by my clients, co-counselors, and supervisors. Just a little humbling. Now I am on what we call the other side! I am in my fourth semester of practicum, which means that I can do counseling in an agency outside of school. I believe the Lord led me to do my internship at an abused women’s shelter. Wow, what a culture shock. I have been sitting in on a group at the shelter for the past two weeks and I am seeing so many new things. One thing I am seeing is the ultimate depravity of man. I cannot legally tell you all the things that I have seen, and to be honest, I am not sure if you would believe me. One thing that the Lord has taught me is that my personal world is very small. Most of you who read this are educated and have never lived in poverty or had to hurt someone, whether it be physically, emotionally, or mentally, in order to get something that you wanted or needed. My advice to you since my eyes have been opened is to broaden your world. The shelter that I work in is able to function purely on the activity of their volunteers. I have never thought of volunteering somewhere because I convinced myself that I am too busy, but to see the immense need that these women have tugs at my heart. The one thing that saddens me the most about being in the shelter is to see all of the kids who are the innocent bystanders of abuse and/or neglect. It isn’t their fault, but they still suffer the consequences of their parents. Take a look at the little girl in the picture and imagine how different your life would have been if you hadn’t been born into such a good family. We have been given so many blessings and so many resources, so my soap box message for the day is to go and be someone’s hero.

1 Comments:

At 5/10/2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Sher said...

I know what you are hearing and seeing. I started out by volunteering at one of those shelters, then ended up spending four months working at one last summer. It's not easy. In fact, my job was very physically and emotionally stressful, but I felt like I was making a difference. Keep up the good work, and if you ever need to vent or talk, let me know! I can totally relate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home